Blocked drains

Blocked drains or defective drainage systems can lead to flooding.

Mains drainage system

If a property is connected to Anglian Water Services mains drainage system, they are responsible for the sewers (the pipes that you share with neighbours) as well as any drains that are outside your property boundary. Drains that are within your premises are the responsibility of the property owner to repair and maintain.

If your property is connected to Anglian Water Services mains drainage system and you have a problem with a drain that lies outside your property, or with a sewer, contact Anglian Water Services on 03457 145 145.

Find out more information.

Private draining system

If your property is served by a private drainage system such as a sewage treatment plant, cesspool or septic tank, the drainage system is normally the responsibility of the property owner. If you rent your home, you will need to check your tenancy agreement to see if you, or the landlord, is responsible for maintenance.

If there is a problem with a drainage system that is causing a nuisance, such as a blocked drain or a cesspool overflowing, that we cannot resolve informally, we can serve a notice on those responsible, instructing them to carry out the work. If the problem isn’t resolved, we can employ a contractor to do the work and recharge the costs to the person(s) responsible.

Open watercourses and ditches

If you own land adjoining a watercourse, you have rights and responsibilities as a riparian landowner.

Norfolk County Council are the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) for Norfolk and have powers to:

  • Require owners to undertake works for maintaining the flow of watercourses such as clearing of ditches and piped ditches
  • Issue approvals for persons to pipe or fill-in ditches
  • Take action against those who pipe or fill-in ditches without approval.