What to do if you have lost your dog
If you have lost your dog please contact us to see if it has been reported to us as a stray on the following telephone numbers:
- Monday to Friday 08:15 - 17:00 - 01508 533977
- Monday to Friday 17:15 - 18:00 - 07502 152666
- Saturday and public holidays 09:00 - 18:00 - 07502 152666
Where we collect a stray dog, we will look after it for seven days. After this time the dog will be rehomed.
If your dog has been handed in, you will be required to pay an initial one off cost, daily kennel fees and any vet fees we have incurred before we can reunite you with your dog.
The charges are:
- 1st occasion* - £46.00 + £11.30 per day.
- 2nd occasion* - £60.30 + £11.30 per day.
- 3rd occasion* - £76.90 + £11.30 per day.
*Based on a 12 month period.
You will normally be able to pick up your dog from the kennels Monday to Saturday before 18:00.
In addition to reporting your dog as lost to us, we also suggest that you:
- Contact the stray dog service at other local councils
- Notify your local vets, animal hospitals and rehoming centres
- Check online lost and found websites and notice boards in your local area. Register your dog on missing pet websites such as Pets Located and Dog Lost.
- Call the microchip database they are registered with and report them as lost or stolen. Make sure your contact details are always up to date.
- If you think your dog has been stolen, call the police.
- Put up notices in your local area and on social media with an up to date photo of your dog.
- Visit places where other dog walkers go and ask them to keep an eye out for your dog.
Reporting a stray dog
If you have found a stray dog and can’t contact the owner, you must report it to us.
If the dog has a collar and tag with up-to-date identification details, or we think we know who the owner is, we will normally ask for your help to reunite the dog with its owner. Whilst we are doing this, we will look after the dog for seven days and if the owner does not come forward during that time we will rehome it.
Our contractor can collect the dog from you between 08:15 - 21:00 Monday to Saturday. On Sundays and public holidays a location is provided where stray dogs can be taken by appointment between 08:15 - 21:00. Please contact us on the following numbers to arrange this:
- Monday to Friday between 08:15 to 17:00: 01508 533977
- Monday to Friday between 17:15 - 18:00: 07502 152666
- Saturday, Sunday and public holidays between 08:15 - 21:00: 07502 152666
If you wish to keep a dog you have found, you must notify us with details of the dog in case the owner comes forward.
If a dog owner keeps allowing their dog to stray we can take action. In most cases we will initially write to the dog owner to remind them of their responsibilities. We will ask you to keep written records to help us in our investigation.