Hazardous waste

Examples of hazardous waste include bug spray, chemicals, garden weed killer and solvents (for items containing gas such as fridges, please see our bulky waste collections). Paint does not need to be treated as hazardous - please see below for advice on how to dispose of paint safely. 

Norfolk County Council Hazardous Waste Events are held each year to help residents dispose of hazardous waste for free.

For further information www.norfolk.gov.uk/hazardouswaste


If you have paint in good condition, you could offer it to friends and family or advertise it for reuse on Freegle.

If you cannot reuse your paint – remove the lid and dry it out (if necessary by adding something absorbent, like cat litter). Once dry, you can put the paint cans in your general waste bin.

We provide a collection service for hazardous items directly from your home. We charge a fee of £31 for this service which is payable at the time of booking. You need to provide a written or emailed list of all the items you would like us to collect, including volume and quantity. The total number of items should be no more than what could be safely contained in a standard sized wheelie bin (240L).

Within ten working days of your booking, our contractor will contact you to arrange collection of the items at an agreed date and time.

You can also dispose of some hazardous waste materials at Norfolk County Council’s recycling centres during hazardous waste events.

We cannot collect commercial waste or asbestos from your home. Asbestos must be collected and disposed of by a specialist contractor or taken to a specialist site. See the Norfolk County Council website for more information.

For more information regarding our hazardous waste services please contact envserv@s-norfolk.gov.uk   or call 01508 533977.