We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01508 533933.
For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Protected trees and hedges

You will usually need permission to work on a tree if it is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or if it is located in a conservation area.

Work to trees may also be restricted by conditions on a planning permission. If there are many trees to be felled and they are not part of a garden, then you may need a Felling Licence issued by the Forestry Commission.

Find out if your tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order or within a conservation area by visiting My South Norfolk.

Find out how to make applications to carry out work on trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order and guidance on notifying proposed works to a tree in a conservation area.

Applications can be submitted on the Planning Portal.

We serve new Tree Preservation Orders (TPO) on trees and woodlands when appropriate in the interest of amenity. We will consider the suitability of trees for a TPO in light of several factors including: visibility; size and form; cultural or historic value; and contribution to the landscape. If you consider that there is a situation where a new TPO is required, please contact us.

View full information about Tree Preservation Orders

If there is a problem with a tree on the highway verge, or affecting users of a footpath or road, you will need to report this through the Norfolk County Council website or call them on 0344 800 8020 and select the Roads and Transport option.

If you are a tenant of Saffron Housing Trust, then you will need to contact them directly on 01508 532000 or through the Saffron Housing Trust website

If the tree is on a South Norfolk play area, public open space or leisure area, then you will need to contact us.

If the tree is on land that is owned by a parish council, then you should contact the parish clerk.

You can only remove a hedge if it is within or forms the boundary of a garden, and is not protected by a condition of planning permission.

Most other hedges are protected by The Hedgerows Regulations 1997 and if you wish to remove any you will need to give us written notice which can be done on the Planning Portal. We have up to six weeks to assess a proposal.

We can deal with complaints about high hedges under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. However, before we intervene you will need to prove you have tried all other routes to resolve the matter, such as sending letters and emails. Find out more about high hedges.