How do I submit a planning application?

You can make your planning application entirely online through the Planning Portal by completing the relevant forms, attaching supporting documents and plans and paying the application fee.

If you are new to the planning process, make sure you've read our guidance pages do I need planning permission? and the planning application process.

There are many different types of applications which relate to planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building consent, together with prior notification applications.

Each application type requires a different form and information to be submitted in support of the proposal. Further details can be found on the Planning Portal.

The most common applications are:

  • Householder applications – for any proposed alterations or extensions to an existing dwelling, or for the erection of any structures in the garden area of a property. For information needed with an application see our guidance note
  • Outline application - gives an agreement in principle to the proposal, and a further application (reserved matters) is required before work can begin
  • Full application - a full set of detailed proposals are required. Once approved, you have permission to start work, subject to complying with any conditions beforehand.
  • Prior notification applications – permission is already granted by the Permitted Development Order, but some aspects of the development need to be approved by us before work can start.

We encourage you to submit your application online through the Planning Portal. If you do wish to submit your application by email or post please use the forms available on the Planning Portal and include:

You may need to supply additional information with your planning application. You can download a guidance note which lists common types of applications, together with details of further information which may be needed to support the application (such as Heritage Statement, ecology reports, flood risk assessment, retail impact study etc) . A Strategic Flood Risk Assessment has been prepared for a consortium of Norfolk Local planning Authorities and should be referred to in connecttion with Flood Risk Assessments. Insufficient information to support your application can result in delaying a decision or refusal. Further advice can be obtained through our pre application service.  

If you sign either Landownership Certificate B or C on your planning application form you must complete the Notice to serve on owners/tenants. This is required so the owner or tenant is aware that you have applied for planning permission on their land or property.

A guide and checklist is included with the planning permission application form to give instruction on the documentation and plans which are needed to support the application.

Please send completed applications by email. Alternatively post to the Planning Team, South Norfolk Council, South Norfolk House, Cygnet Court, Long Stratton, Norwich, NR15 2XE.

The application, plans and any documents or comments you send us are part of the public record and will be available to any member of the public to view or have copies of. They will also be scanned and placed on our website in our online planning system.

The Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 requires that these documents are available for public inspection on the file and copies will be provided on request.

We will obscure areas of documents that relate to signatures, the applicant's phone numbers or email addresses where these are published online. However, human error can occur and we may miss something. If you notice something that causes you concern, then please email us noting the application reference and document details and we will do our best to resolve the matter. The website will regularly be updated as the application progresses with consultee comments, amended plans, committee dates (where an application will be decided at committee), the officer’s delegated or committee report and the final decision.

Personal data will be retained for 10 years as part of the lawful processing of the application.

Your rights - Under data protection legislation you have the right to request access to, rectification, restriction, or objection to the processing of your personal data, as detailed on our Data Protection Policy. You can contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office.


The application fee must be paid before your application can be registered. If you are completing your application online please pay the application fee as part of the process. For postal or email applications please contact us to pay by debit or credit card on 01508 533813. The fee can be calculated using the online fee calculator.

Fees are set by Government and are either:

  • One flat rate
  • Based on the floor area of the proposal
  • Based on the area of the site.


Fees may not be charged in certain circumstances, including:

  • Listed building consent
  • Adaptations for a disabled person
  • The resubmission of a previous application, which was determined, within 12 months of the decision date
  • The resubmission of a previous application, which was withdrawn, within 12 months of the date it was submitted.

The Community Infrastructure Levy is a charge on almost all new buildings. It is a means of making sure that development contributes towards the infrastructure needed to support growth in an area. Previously, many smaller developments made no specific contribution towards infrastructure, even though, cumulatively, they could place significant demands on local facilities.

To enable us to calculate the CIL liability, any application for a new dwelling or development which will result in more than 100 sqm of new floorspace will need to be accompanied by the Planning Application - Additional Information Requirement form.