If you are an older person or disabled, you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant for home adaptations. Grants are means-tested and are available to both tenants and homeowners.
Adaptations need to have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist, these include improving:
- Access to and from your home
- Access to the principal family room
- Access to or providing a bedroom
- Access to or providing bathing facilities
- Safety in your home
- Facilities for the preparation and cooking of food
- Movement around your home so you are able to care for someone else who lives with you.
If you are over the age of 65 and wish to make minor repairs or adaptations to your home, you may also be interested in our Handyperson Service.
If you own your property you are responsible for the maintenance of the adaptation(s).
For tenants, you will need to check that your landlord will allow the adaptation(s) and if they are prepared to maintain the changes on your behalf.
Applying for a grant
To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help towards the cost of making changes to your home, please complete our online Independent Living Referral form or call us on 0808 168 5227.