Our playgrounds and play areas are closed with immediate effect in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
We will keep parks and countryside sites open until further notice.
The decision to close play areas has been taken after we considered the risks to public health, the availability of hand-wash facilities and the difficulty in keeping children at a safe social distance.
We are confident our residents will understand that we have to put the safety of our communities first, particularly our vulnerable residents.
Making children keep to the recommended two metres distance in a busy playground or play area is difficult. The play equipment, which is used by a large number of small hands, is unable to be disinfected and so represents a high cross-contamination risk of the virus.
Our decision also means we are doing what we can to protect our NHS from coming under further pressure.
We have decided not to close open spaces, giving consideration to the wellbeing benefits of parks and commons and the need for exercise.
South Norfolk has some of the best places to live and visit in the country, with superb countryside and wonderful towns and villages to explore. We own and manage a number of parks and open spaces, which are home for wildlife and great places for a family outing or a quiet walk.
In addition to open spaces, the Community Asset team are responsible for some streetlights in the district, public toilets and trees on council owned/managed land.
Find out more about the sites the Community Asset Team look after below:
- East Hills Woods – Costessey, Longwater Lane, NR5 0TQ. TG170107
- Poringland Woods – Framingham, New Road, NR14 7QX. TG260035
- Venta Icenorum (Roman Town) – Stoke Road, Caister St Edmund NR14 8QL. TG232032
- Frenze Beck – Sawmills Road, Diss, IP22 4GG. TM13179
Any enquiries should be sent to email@example.com
- Mulbarton Common – The Common, Mulbarton, NR14. TG193008
- Dunston Common – Stoke Lane, Stoke Holy Cross, NR14 8PF. TG227025
- Flordon Common – Norwich Road, Hapton NR15 1SD. TM180972
- Swardeston Common – The Common, Swardeston, NR14 8EB. TG199028
- Hales Green Common – Green Road, Hales, NR14 6TB. TM373970
- Smockmill Common LNR– Cargate Lane, Swainsthorpe, NR15 1TU. TG218980
Any enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
We own and maintain a number of playgrounds and recreational spaces throughout the district, these areas are inspected on a regular basis. We hope you enjoy visiting these facilities and treat them and other users with respect.
Please put your litter in the bins provided.
If you discover any damage or are worried about anything you see in the playground, please let us know.
If you see any vandalism or antisocial behaviour please let us know that too, but telephone the police first.
Any enquiries should be sent to email@example.com or Freephone 08081682000
Locations of our playgrounds & recreational spaces are:
- Knyvett Green, Ashwelthorpe NR16 1HA
- Millers Drive, Dickleburgh IP22 4PX
- Brushmakers Way, Diss IP22 4QZ
- De-Lucy Close, Diss IP22 4YL
- Egremont Road, Diss IP22 4NF
- Ensign Way, Diss IP22 4GP
- Old Coaching Place, Diss IP22 4NR
- Pursehouse Way, Diss IP22 4YB
- Scholars Walk, Diss IP22 4EA
- Shreeves Road, Diss IP22 4HS
- Sycamore Way, Diss IP22 4ZD
- Trafalgar Way, Diss IP22 4JX
- Dunston Common Play Trail NR14 8PE
- Cardinal Close, Easton NR9 5EW
- St Peters Drive, Easton NR9 5HF
- Tulip Tree Drive, Framingham Earl NR14 7UL
- Summer Close Framingham Earl NR14 7SE
- Nelson Close, Harleston IP20 9HL
- Doune Way, Harleston IP20 9QB
- Chaffinch Mews, Sancroft Square Estate, Harleston IP20 9FD
- Knudson Close, Hempnall NR15 2LX
- Admirals Way, Hethersett NR9 3AQ
- Ash Close, Hethersett NR9 3RE
- Heather Close, Hethersett NR9 3FH
- Jaguar Road, Hethersett NR9 3QW
- Lakeland Way, Hethersett NR9 3A
- Ullswater Drive, Hethersett NR9 3QD
- Muir Drive, Hingham NR9 4PQ
- Filbert Road, Loddon NR14 6LW
- Gunton Road, Loddon NR14 6DP
- Field Acre Way, Long Stratton NR15 2WE
- Oakfield Road, Long Stratton NR15 2WB
- Wheatfield Way, Long Stratton NR15 2WG
- Bromedale Avenue, Mulbarton NR14 8GG
- Chappshill Way, Mulbarton NR14 8GN
- Ryefield Road, Mulbarton NR14 8DA
- Alan Avenue, Newton Flotman NR15 1PY
- Spruce Crescent, Poringland NR14 7UA
- Appletree Lane, Roydon IP22 4FL
- William Brown Way, Roydon IP22 55Q
- Chestnut Road, Tasburgh NR15 1UH
- Jermyn Way, Tharston NR15 2ZA
- Hudson Avenue, Trowse NR14 8GB
- Abbey Road, Wymondham NR18 9BP
- Bannister Way, Wymondham NR18 0TY
- Blackthorn Road, Wymondham, NR18 0PY
- Bramble Way, Harts Farm, Wymondham NR18 0UN
- Conyers, Wymondham NR18 0TE
- Elan Close, Wymondham NR18 9LW
- Lavender Road, Whispering Oaks, Wymondham NR18 0FT
- Papillon Road, Wymondham NR18 0WD
- Speedwell Road, Harts Farm, Wymondham NR18 0XH
- Williams Close, Wymondham NR18 0TD
We own and are responsible for various parcels of land across the district. To find out if we own a piece of land, the first place to search is My South Norfolk click on the my map tab at the top let of the page and type in the address in the search box. Expand the property box on the left-hand side and tick the box called Property Assets. Council owned land will be highlighted in blue. You can also search for Conservation Areas, TPO’s and listed buildings by ticking the relevant box.
If the area you are searching is not shown, we do not own the land. You will need to contact the Land Registry to find the owner.
Any enquiries regarding South Norfolk Council owned land should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
To determine if the tree is owned by us, please follow the steps outlined in Land Ownership Enquiries, if they are council trees please contact us at email@example.com or 01508 533701.
For trees on privately owned land or enquiries about trees with Tree Preservation Orders (TPO) please go to the planning pages.
To view South Norfolk Council's Tree Management Strategy click here
We currently manage footway lights in nine Town and Parish Council (TPC) areas across the district – these are Chedgrave, Costessey, Diss, Ditchingham, Ellingham, Gillingham, Kirby Cane, Loddon and Wymondham. This will reduce to two – Gillingham and Loddon from 1 April 2019 as a number of TPCs have decided to assume local management of footway lighting and we are currently in the process of arranging transfer.
Footway lights are typically used for amenity type lighting of local estate roads and public areas.
Footway lights managed by South Norfolk Council can be recognised by a South Norfolk Council label and any faults can be reported by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 01508 533977 giving the location (e.g. outside no. in street name, locality).
The street lighting provided by the Highway Authority – Norfolk County Council and Saffron housing are directly managed by these organisations – their contact details are as follows;
- Diss – Mere Street Public Toilets, Mere Street, IP22 4AH
- Hingham – Market Place, Hingham NR9 4AF
- Wymondham – Market Street Car Park, Wymondham NR18 0BB
- Long Stratton – Swan Lane, Long Stratton NR15 2XG
Long Stratton toilets – notice for expressions of interest – future redevelopment opportunity with social purpose
- Harleston – Bullock Fair Car Park, Harleston IP20 9AT
For enquiries about cleaning and maintenance please contact 01508 533830.