If someone is living with you and is not your partner or a dependant child (aged under 16, or 16 to 20 and Child Benefit is in payment) they are expected to pay towards rent and Council Tax.

To assess your claim these people are referred to as non-dependants, and your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can be reduced depending on their income and your circumstances.

Non-dependants can include:

  • A child who has left school
  • An elderly relative
  • A friend
  • A relation.

If you have a lodger or boarder there are different rules. We don’t make deductions but some of the money you receive as rent can be counted as income. If you would like to consider taking in a lodger and would like to discuss how we could help you then please contact us.