We are currently asking people to only come into our offices for essential visits by pre-appointment. Where possible, people should contact us by phone or email or through our website. If you are a resident and need support relating to COVID-19 please call our Help Hub on 01508 533933.
For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Evidence to support your benefit claim

When you make a claim for Housing Benefit, including Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax Support, we require five items to be sent to us:

  1. Fully completed and signed claim form
  2. Evidence of earnings for all adults living in your home 
  3. Evidence of any other income for all adults living in your home 
  4. Evidence of all bank accounts, savings and investments
  5. Evidence of rent

For evidence of earnings we require the last five payslips for weekly paid earnings, the last three payslips for fortnightly paid earnings or the last two months payslips for monthly paid earnings.

If anyone is self employed we need to see accounts for the last financial year. If no accounts are available, we will need a summary of the persons trading records to date.

If you or your partner work and you have child care charges to pay for somebody to look after you children, you may be entitled to extra benefit.

Evidence includes pension slips from a former employer, a letter from the court showing any maintenance payments you are receiving, or proof of any money you receive from people paying you board and lodgings. We also need to see proof of any benefits, pensions or allowances received by any adult in the household, detailing amounts and how often these are paid.

Evidence includes the latest full bank statements for all bank/building society and post office accounts. These must show all incoming and outgoing amounts into the accounts. We also require certificates for premium bonds, saving certificates, details of ISAs, stocks, shares and trusts and proof of any interest or dividends from investments and savings. If you have any property or land in this country or abroad we will also need to see evidence of this.

Please provide your tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord confirming your rent and what this includes; such as services including heating, lighting, water rates. The letter will also need to detail the date the tenancy commenced and property address.