If you are concerned about flooding and would like information and advice, please visit our flooding advice page. If you need any further information or guidance please call 01508 533633. If you are, or you know someone who is vulnerable and in need of help to manage the impact of flooding, please call 01508 533933.
For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Benefit appeals

You may not understand our decision regarding your application for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and Council Tax Benefit.

You can ask us to explain our decision in more detail by requesting a written statement of reasons and if you disagree with our decision you can request that we look at your claim again in line with the timescales below.

Housing Benefit - we must receive your letter within one month of the date of our decision.

Council Tax Support - there is no time limit for you to contest our decision but we must reply to you within two months or you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Council Tax Benefit - we must receive your letter within one month of the date of our decision.

How to appeal

You must appeal in writing, detailing your name and address, the reasons why you disagree with the decision and any evidence that you can provide to support your application. You can appeal by email or in writing to Appeals Officer, South Norfolk Council, South Norfolk House, Cygnet Court, Long Stratton, Norwich, NR15 2XE.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credits and are unhappy with the assessment you will need to contact the Department for Works and Pensions.