Benefits | South Norfolk Council
You may have received your Household Enquiry Form this week. You can confirm or change your details online, this will make sure our electoral roll is up to date.
Find out more
Smiling mother and daughter


If you’re on a low income or experiencing financial difficulties, we can provide you with Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent and Council Tax Support to help to pay your Council Tax. Claiming these benefits will not affect any other benefits you receive. You can't usually receive these benefits if:

  • You have savings of over £16,000, unless you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit and are getting the ‘guarantee credit’ of pension credit
  • You live in the home of a close relative
  • You’re a full time student (unless you are disabled or have children)
  • You’re an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

You may have to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit, depending on where you live. Please go to the Universal Credit page for more information.

If you’re not sure which council you need to make a claim with, visit GOV.UK and enter your postcode.

Please click here if you already claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and want to report a change. 

You can get an estimate of the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you could get by using our online Benefits calculator. This will also estimate your entitlement to other benefits and tax credits. 

If you qualify and would like further information about making a claim with us please use the relevant links below.