Do I need planning permission?

If you intend to carry out building work on property or land that you own, then it is likely you will need permission. Advice is given below in relation to domestic properties, non domestic proposals and about our pre- application advice service.

Domestic properties 

You can carry out some minor extensions and alterations on domestic properties without planning permission. This is known as permitted development. These permitted development rights may be restricted or removed by an Article 4 direction, which means you will need to submit a planning application for work which does not normally need it. If your property is a listed building you may also need Listed Building Consent which will need to include a Heritage Statement. You can find out if you need permission by using the Planning Portal Interactive House. More advice is available on the Planning Portal and in the technical guide.

Even if your building work does not require planning permission, you must still consider the impact your work may have on trees, this is especially important if they are situated in a conservation area or are covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). If your work could impact or damage any part of the trees you must not carry out the work without seeking advice.

If you are not sure if you need permission or would like to enquire about the likely outcome of an application you can use our domestic pre-application advice service.

Find out about the application process and how to submit an application.

Non domestic properties 

For non domestic properties, any alteration which affects the external appearance of the building, extensions or change of use, may require planning permission. Find out about the application process and how to submit an application.

If you would like to enquire about the likely outcome of an application you can use our non domestic pre-application advice service.

Even though your development may not need planning permission it may be subject to the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). This is a financial payment towards the provision of strategic infrastructure.

Pre-application advice service

We offer an informal service to advise on the likely outcome of a planning application. This helps you progress your proposal with confidence and identifies key information which will be needed to support your application.

Free advice service

For domestic enquiries, fill in our free planning permission enquiry form with details of your planned work. We will let you know if permission is needed and which forms to complete. Please note that from 1 April 2021 all domestic enquiries will be charged at £60. 

We will respond to your query within ten working days and advise if your proposal is permitted development or needs planning permission.

For non domestic enquiries free advice is available if your enquiry relates  to one of the following:

  • Need for planning permission
  • Advertisements
  • Work to listed buildings
  • Works to protected trees.

We will do our best to answer your query over the phone or in our offices. However, if your query requires an in depth written response, or a further meeting, you will be charged for this service.

Charged advice service

We offer a range of charged options which include a written response, a meeting in the office or a meeting on site followed up by a written response. Our response will provide details of:

  • The relevant planning policies
  • Planning history of the site which could influence the proposal
  • Constraints such as tree preservation orders, conservation areas etc.
  • The main planning considerations, including an officer's opinion on matters such as the impact on neighbouring uses and the suitability of the proposed design
  • Any consultees who should be contacted
  • The relevant application type and planning fee where necessary.

Find out the information you need to submit and the fee for our charged service and complete the application form. Please return this by e mail to

Our pre-application advice is made by officers and is not our formal decision. The case officer may indicate the likely outcome of your planning application, but this is not guaranteed. Please also note that due to changing policies and other factors, your advice may need updating over time.