If you are concerned about flooding and would like information and advice, please visit our flooding advice page. If you need any further information or guidance please call 01508 533633. If you are, or you know someone who is vulnerable and in need of help to manage the impact of flooding, please call 01508 533933.
For up-to-date information about our services and links to useful advice, see our Coronavirus page

Housing and benefits: coronavirus update


If you are self-employed and you have had to self- isolate, or had a loss or reduction in income due to Coronavirus you may be eligible for Universal Credit or Employment and Support allowance to help with your income. For further information please visit the Government's Universal Credit webpage and New Style Employment and Support Allowance webpage.

You may be eligible to claim a grant through the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme if you are self-employed or a member of a partnership. To see if you qualify or how much you can claim please find more information on the Government website.

If you are unable to pay your Council Tax, you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. Find out if you qualify.

If you already receive Council Tax support and/or Housing Benefit, please contact us on 01508 533633 to advise of any changes.


If you are self-isolating and employed, you will be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (£94.25 per week) from day one (rather than day four).

Depending on your income, you may also be entitled to Universal Credit. Please visit the Government Universal Credit website for further information. You may also be entitled to Council Tax Support. See if you qualify.

If you already receive Council Tax Support and/or Housing Benefit, please contact us on 01508 533633 to advise of any changes.


Homeowners can get a 3-month mortgage holiday, including landlords. Please contact your mortgage provider, or if you are in private rented please discuss options with you landlord.


We encourage anyone whose income has been impacted by COVID-19 to contact their landlord immediately, whether that be a registered provider such as Saffron or Clarion or a private landlord. We are aware that registered providers are keen to work with their tenants, however they will not know that you are in hardship unless you call them.

Government has announced that private landlords can ask their mortgage provider for a 3-month payment holiday, when their tenants are affected by COVID-19. It is therefore expected that this saving be passed to you, whilst your welfare benefits are put into payment.

Please contact your landlord to discuss. If you have any problems our housing team may be able help, please email or call 01508 533751.

Other Information

Council Tax Hardship Fund

We have created a fund to support our residents who are experiencing severe hardship due to the coronavirus crisis.

Working age households that are in receipt of Council Tax Support will automatically receive up to £150, which will be used to reduce your Council Tax bill from April 2020. You don’t need to apply for this, we will amend your account and let you know.

View our Q&As for more information about this scheme.

DWP/Job Centre

If you need to claim Universal Credit but have COVID-19 or are self-isolating, you will now be able to claim and to access advance payments upfront without needing to attend a Job Centre Plus.

If you are eligible for new style Employment and Support Allowance, it will now be payable from day 1 of sickness, rather than day 8, if you have COVID-19 or are advised to self-isolate.

Job Centres are now open for vulnerable customers only.  Please call your local job centre with any queries.