It is our responsibility to licence all taxi vehicles, drivers and operators in South Norfolk.
There are two types of taxis that need to be licensed:
- Hackney carriages - public hire vehicles
- Private hire vehicles - vehicles only available by prior booking.
A licensed hackney carriage may be available for customers to hire from an appointed hackney carriage stand, or may be hailed in a street in South Norfolk, or take advanced bookings.
Private hire vehicles
A licensed private hire vehicle may only take journeys in response to advance bookings. The charges for journeys are not subject to district council control, and should be agreed with the customers prior to the journey.
The operator of the vehicle must also hold a private hire operator’s licence.
The licensing process
Before any vehicle is licensed it is tested at one of our preferred garages. The test covers the vehicle’s mechanics, general appearance and comfort for passengers.
We are also responsible for licensing drivers of both classes of vehicle. We must make sure that all drivers are suitable for the position, by checking medical history and criminal and motoring convictions.
Suspending and revoking licences
As well as granting and issuing licences we can also suspend or revoke licences and take court action, if necessary, against any offending licence holder.
Taxi driver licence
|Disclosure and Barring Service||£44.00|
Combined hackney carriage/Private hire driver licence
|£245.00 (three year licence)|
|Driver licence consent form||£5.00|
Taxi vehicle licence
Hackney carriage licence
Private hire vehicle
Private hire limousines/cadillac
Private hire limousines/cadillac vehicle test fees only (payable at the time of inspection at Simonds Coach and Travel, Diss). Full vehicle test required at 12 monthly intervals
Secondary test required six months after full test above (payable at the time of inspection at Simonds Coach and Travel, Diss)
Initial/12 monthly test £135.00
Six months test £50.35
|Private hire exemption notice||£30.00|
Taxi operator licence
|Private hire operator's licence||£565.00 (5 year licence)|
|Replacement driver's badge||£5.00|
- Download the relevant application form(s):
Combined hackney carriage/Private hire driver application form (webform)
Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle application form (webform)
Private hire operator application form
- Read any relevant guidance notes to help you with your application:
- Send the completed form and any supporting documents by email or by post to the Licensing Team, South Norfolk Council, South Norfolk House, Cygnet Court, Long Stratton, Norwich, NR15 2XE. Or call 01508 533602 to hand deliver your application.
- Make the correct payment for your application, using one of the following methods:
- Telephone - call 01508 533602 to pay by debit or credit card
- Telephone/Internet banking/BACS - you can make your payment directly into our bank account, providing your name with the payment and the reference: Taxi Licensing. Our Sort Code is 20-26-34 and Account Number 83490173
- Cheque - made payable to South Norfolk Council.
The Immigration Act 2016 places a duty on Licensing Authorities in the UK to seek to prevent illegal working in the Private Hire and Taxi sector. From 1 December 2016, all Licensing Authorities must not issue licences to illegal immigrants and this is done using immigration checks.
The new provisions mean that driver and operator licences must not be issued to people who are illegally present in the UK, who are not permitted to work or who are permitted to work but are subject to a condition which prohibits them from obtaining such a licence.
As a Licensing Authority, Right to Work checks will be made at initial granting or renewal of a driver or operator licence. Please ensure that you provide the necessary documents to ensure your application can be processed in a timely manner. Find out more about the documents that are required.
Due to the requirement for Right to Work checks, please book an appointment with the Licensing Team by email or call 01508 533621 to arrange a convenient time for these checks to take place.
An applicant's criminal record shall be checked via the Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) at enhanced level.