There are a number of reliefs for non-domestic properties that may apply to your business:
- Small business rates relief (please note: if you are currently in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief, this will automatically be applied to your account for the new valuation from 01/04/17)
- Rural rate relief - we may also provide discretionary relief for businesses in rural areas where Mandatory relief does not apply
- Charitable relief - we can also provide additional discretionary relief for charitable and not for profit organisations
- Enterprise zones
- Exempt buildings and empty buildings relief
- Business rates appeals
- Partly occupied relief - a ratepayer is liable for the full non-domestic rate whether a property is wholly occupied or only partly occupied. Where a property is partly occupied for a short time, we have discretion in certain cases to award relief in respect of the unoccupied part
- Hardship relief - we have discretion to give hardship relief in specific circumstances.
When a property becomes empty, there is no charge for the first three months, or six months in the case of industrial property. After the initial rate-free period has expired, the empty property will be charged 100% Business Rates. There are curtain exemptions from the empty charge which include listed buildings and properties with a rateable value of less than £2,600. Find out more about exempt buildings and empty buildings relief.