If you’re on a low income or experiencing financial difficulties, we can provide you with Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent and Council Tax Support to help to pay your Council Tax. Claiming these benefits will not affect any other benefits you receive. You can't usually receive these benefits if:
- You have savings of over £16,000, unless you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit and are getting the ‘guarantee credit’ of pension credit
- You live in the home of a close relative
- You’re a full time student (unless you are disabled or have children)
- You’re an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK
- You are claiming Universal Credit.
If you’re not sure which council you need to make a claim with, visit GOV.UK and enter your postcode.